Once all the paperwork is done and cooling off period settles, where you finally have the keys in your hand. The big day is just round the corner.
Moving houses can be one of the most stressful experiences you can go through, but if you stay organised, pre-plan and follow these tips. Moving into your new home will relaxing and easy part of the process where by the end of the night you will be popping open a bottle of wine to relax.
- Remove all the junk that you are not going to pack with you. This includes throwing away, recycling or donating all your unwanted items in advance. You’ll be amazed at how much easier it will be to pack.
- Book a removalist and collect your boxes in advance. This gives you the ability to schedule how and when you pack.
- Make note of all the mail you get and change your address with all your received mail.
- Clear your schedule for at least a couple of days prior to moving. If you are moving mid-week, book days off work.
- Pack and label your boxes by room or by sets. Resist the temptation to pack similar items together from different rooms.
- Have plenty of stationery equipment –this includes tape, scissor and black marker for moving.
ON THE DAY
- Finish packing your boxes before the removalists arrive.
- Have plenty of water and snacks throughout the day. Staying hydrated and energised is essential on moving day.
- Pack a box or suitcase of items you’ll need for the first night. You don’t want to be trawling through your boxes looking for PJs and a toothbrush.
- Organise the collection of used boxes, either back to the box company or to be recycled.
- Book the cleaner for the day after moving, rather than on the day to give yourself more time to clear everything out.